SQL Server DBA - Operations-INF0003372
About the General Motors Enterprise Database Services: Database Operations Team
GM is enabling an unparalleled IT transformation, enabling the latest technology trends, unleashing IT innovation, in an effort to help GM to design, build, and sell the world''s best vehicles. The Enterprise Database Services organization is supporting that initiative by providing for all aspects of database technology strategy, deployment, monitoring, and operations of GM databases in an effort to provide GM with the best managed database solutions in the world.
The database operations team, within Enterprise Database Services, is chartered with providing best-in-class end-to-end Database Management System (DBMS) solutions to our IT application partners world-wide. The team is responsible for developing, implementing, administering, and managing all aspects of the DBMS environment to guarantee it''s secure, highly available, current, flexible, and globally monitored.
About the role:
The Database Operations SQL Server DBA will work with other organizations in the deployment, management, and support of all SQL Server databases world-wide.. This includes but is not limited to, working closely with database vendors, infrastructure groups, other DBAs, and application teams to proactively install, monitor, manage, control, upgrade, and patch consistently across GM''s SQL Server database landscape. This individual will be responsible for understanding capacity requirements, implementation of global monitoring and automation solutions, providing DBMS expertise to application teams, implementing SOX controls, measuring performance, and driving best-in-class availability across GM''s database platforms.
- Bachelor''s Degree in Computer Science or Engineering
- Minimum 7 years Information Technology experience with 5 years enterprise database expertise
- Expertise in Microsoft SQL Server 2012 and 2008, SCOM 2012, Integration Services, Analysis Services, T-SQL, GoldenGate, Hyper-V, Windows and blade hardware platforms
- Extensive technical knowledge across multiple technology areas including: Java platform, .Net framework, performance tuning, storage, networking, client libraries
- Experience with data modeling, database design, and even Microsoft patching methodologies
- Excellent analytical, problem solving, written and oral communication skills
- Knowledge on how to support very large databases with heavy online and batch activities
- Ability to concentrate and pay close attention to detail and think broadly with a system orientation
- Great team player
- Equivalent expertise in alternate DB technologies, specifically Oracle, DB2 and/or Hadoop
- Understanding/experience in an Agile (scrum), and/or iterative development methodology
- Experience and familiarity with IT best practices (e.g., CMMI, ISO9000, ITIL, COBIT)
- Application development in large, complex organizations
Why General Motors?
At GM, we''ve charged ourselves with one mission: to design, build and sell the world''s best vehicles. And to achieve our goals, we''re currently undergoing one of the largest Information Technology transformations in the history of the automotive industry.
GM IT is a leader in cutting edge technologies such as Mobility, Telematics, Mission-Critical Business Systems, Supercomputing, Vehicle Engineering, and Real-time Computing. We offer challenging positions for passionate professionals looking to get in on the ground-floor of a growing Fortune 5" firm that is re-inventing IT with a laser focus on Innovation, Speed, and Business Value.
Join our team and experience Information Technology at a scale and pace not seen before!
Posting Date: Dec 14, 2012, 3:23:09 PM - Ongoing