Title: Assistant General Counsel and Practice Group Manager - Government Programs Practice Group
Location: Oakland, CA
The Government Programs Practice Group Manager (PGM) is responsible for leading the Government Programs Practice Group of the Legal Department. The Government Programs Practice Group is composed of health law lawyers whose primary accountability is to provide legal services supporting Kaiser Permanente''s participation in, and compliance with the requirements of the Medicare, Medicaid, Federal Employee Health Benefits, and other government programs. The PGM is also a member of the Legal Department''s leadership team.
- Collaborate effectively with the General Counsel, Deputy General Counsel, other PGMs, and Regional Counsels to provide collective leadership of the Legal Department.
- Ensure horizontal and vertical communication and collaboration within the Department necessary to provide high quality, integrated legal services that protect Kaiser Permanente, meet Kaiser Permanente''s business objectives and achieve high levels of customer satisfaction.
- Promote proper organizational governance and management accountability by ensuring that senior leadership is well informed and escalating legal and risk management issues to the appropriate levels in Kaiser Permanente.
- Define Legal Department goals and priorities that are aligned with Kaiser Permanente goals and priorities.
- Establish and maintain effective customer and interdepartmental relationships.
- Ensure the sufficiency, alignment, and efficient allocation of legal resources.
- Collectively manage the Legal Department''s performance against metrics that the leadership may develop over time.
- Promote continuous quality improvement, leadership development, professional development, and succession planning.
- Promote a culture of excellence, accountability, learning, and collegiality.
- Handle the Legal Department''s administrative, financial, and governance functions, including but not limited to budgets, reserves, approvals, reporting, recruiting, etc.
- Manage the work of the Government Programs Practice Group, including:
- Cultivate highest and best use of legal professionals in accordance with Department model, which achieves high quality advice and service with lower cost by utilizing high-performing attorneys, and includes developing strategic role of lawyers.
- Promote the development, sharing, and replication of best practices for collaboration.
- Cultivate and manage relationships with customers, including agreements for the most efficient and valuable use of legal resources.
- Enhance motivation of legal professionals through maximization of skills, providing opportunities for recognition and participation in developing Department.
- Manage individual performance including performance appraisals and other human resources issues.
- Develop and deploy subject matter expertise relevant to the Practice Group.
- Promote optimal use of information systems, technology, and communication methods.
- Promote systems and methods to capture, share, and leverage knowledge.
- Balance leadership and management responsibilities with the active legal practice of a highly effective senior lawyer.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience as a practicing attorney, primarily in health law.
- Bar membership required in the state where the attorney is situated.
- Recognized (externally and/or internally) as an expert in one or more specialties within the health law area. Excellent legal judgment.
- Demonstrated excellent performance as a practicing attorney.
- Experience handling complicated legal issues with serious risks and with successful outcomes.
- Experience in managing team-based projects, with documented (e.g., reviews) leadership success (i.e., providing clarity of direction, aligning organizational processes toward goals, and establishing commitment and partnership).
- Demonstrated qualities consistent with the Department''s preferred operating style, i.e., mutual respect, fairness, honesty, ethical behavior, independent, creative thinking while operating as a team member.
- Consistent high ratings from customers, peers, and subordinates.
- Excellent interpersonal skills with customers, colleagues, and subordinates.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Demonstrates high emotional intelligence and the ability to generate enthusiasm and commitment among colleagues.