Web Developer (Webmaster)
Sector: Web Development
Location: US - NY -New York
Employee Type: Regular
Employee Category: Full Time
The Inter-Agency Network for Education in Emergencies (INEE) is seeking a Web Developer (Webmaster) to maintain and develop the INEE website (www.ineesite.org). This is a highly technical position, as the Webmaster will plan, develop, test, maintain and document all programs controlling the content, appearance, and architecture of INEE’s multi-lingual, CMS-based website. The work of the Webmaster will fit within INEE’s overall Knowledge Management and Communications plan and will be supervised by the INEE Director. Depending on the administrative policy of the contracting organization, this position may be home-based.
The Inter-Agency Network for Education in Emergencies (INEE) is an open global network of more than 7,500 practitioners, students, teachers, staff from UN agencies, non-governmental organizations, donors, governments and universities who work together within a humanitarian and development framework to ensure all persons the right to quality education and a safe learning environment in emergencies and post-crisis recovery. The network improves communication and coordination among its members by cultivating and facilitating collaborative relationships and creating opportunities and space for sharing knowledge, developing resources, informing policy, building capacity and undertaking joint advocacy.
INEE Secretariat staff are based in New York, Paris, Geneva, and Nairobi. INEE's Steering Group is comprised of ChildFund International, the International Rescue Committee (IRC), Open Society Foundations, Refugee Education Trust (RET), Save the Children Alliance, UNICEF, UNHCR, UNESCO, USAID, and the World Bank.
* Plan, develop, test, maintain and document all programs controlling the content, appearance, and architecture of the INEE website;
* Ensure consistency of design and branding through all language versions of the website;
* Provide overall site operations support, including ensuring the functionality and general health of servers, database systems, and installed software;
* Fix bugs, troubleshoot, and resolve problems, including source code control and issue tracking;
* Create and edit CMS page templates, variables, and dynamic entry forms;
* Assume ownership of code throughout development, staging, testing, and production;
* Research, propose, and develop new web applications as a function of need and in coordination with management;
* Maintain and modify all search functionality of the INEE website, including oversight for SEO;
* Initiate periodic testing and implement backup and contingency plans in case of systems failure;
* Oversee the updating of website content in all primary languages; including preparing, editing, and uploading English content on a daily basis, and ensuring that updates are made in all languages;
* Coordinate the work of 10-15 website content managers, including ongoing training and support;
* Coordinate the translation of key content in all primary languages;
* Update and maintain the website management user guide and screencasts, including for the INEE Toolkit;
* Assist in the development, implementation, and follow-up of membership campaigns, aimed at recruiting new members and motivating existing members to update their online profiles;
* Manage the INEE member database, and produce a monthly Membership Snapshot report of the overall INEE membership;
* Manage the INEE resource database, including a systematic clean-up of existing entries and ensuring proper uploading and categorization of new entries;
* Manage INEE’s collections of images, videos, and other multimedia elements;
* Produce regular web analytics usage reports;
* Prepare and edit basic design graphic elements;
* Coordinate the cross-posting of relevant content on INEE’s Facebook, Twitter and LinkedIn pages;
* Provide general support and reporting to the Coordinator for Knowledge Management and Partnerships and other members of the INEE Secretariat, as requested.
* Post-graduate degree in a relevant field (e.g. information management, information architecture, computer science, database management, electronic records management, communications);
* At least three years of experience creating, managing, and providing backend support to complex, CMS-based websites, including the ability to read, understand, and write hard code;
* Monitor and backstop the host server connection and relationship with Rackspace;
* General understanding of DNS configuration;
* Strong communication skills: excellent command of English, both spoken and written; and knowledge of one of the other network languages: Spanish, French, Arabic and/or Portuguese preferred;
* Knowledge of the field of education in emergencies and familiarity with INEE preferred.
* Experience managing complex projects and deadlines involving globally-dispersed and multi-lingual colleagues and partners;
* Ability to be flexible and work well independently, under pressure, and in a fast-paced environment;
* Excellent organizational skills: the ability to track and follow-up on various tasks;
* Excellent analytical and writing skills: the ability to draft briefs, web copy, reports, and syntheses;
* Good interpersonal skills: the ability to successfully interact with a variety of people;
* Flexible work attitude: the ability to follow direction and effectively learn and work in an inter-agency environment as well as self-motivate.
IRC leading the way from harm to home.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.