Title: Clinical Scheduling Representative (FULL TIME) - St. Elizabeth Regional Medical Center, Lincoln, NE
At Conifer Health Solutions, we offer the strength and stability of Tenet Healthcare, a Fortune 500 company, with the ingenuity and energy of a healthcare independent. We are a healthcare solutions company born from the healthcare industry. We take care of hospital business, so hospitals can focus on caring for patients. Ready to be part of our solutions? Welcome to a company that gives you the resources and incentives to redefine healthcare services, with the benefits and leadership to take your career to the next step!
Reports directly to the CARE / Telephone Line to Care Coordinator under the direction of theDirector of Marketing and Communications. Responsible for ensuring patients scheduled forservices involving anesthesia and sedation at Saint Elizabeth Regional Medical Center areappropriately evaluated for clinical eligibility with planning and interventions implemented as needed. The CARE nurse uses a broad knowledge base of medical procedures and nursing assessmentsfrom basic to complex medical needs effectively.
Uses and Discloses patient protected health information: 1) Only as it applies to job functions, 2) in
amounts minimally necessary for intended purpose, 3) in a confidential manner.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
Essential Job Functions:
Patient Clinical Assessment:
* Maintains current knowledge of Saint Elizabeth services and clinical procedures.
* Utilizes nursing knowledge and the nursing process to provide assessment based on the physical, psychosocial, safety and related criteria appropriate to the patient's age.
* During patient outbound call, determines patient eligibility for all procedures requiring anesthesia and sedation, incorporating information from patient Health Questionnaire, medical history and physical, test results and patient/family interview.
* Maintains accurate documentation in the patient record per defined standards.
* Notes History and Physical done and by whom and if within established time frame.
* Verifies side of body or extremity for operative procedures.
* Obtains appropriate physician orders and ensures orders address identified patient
* Preadmission Assessment:
* Performs assessment by phone according to established criteria. Determines need for
* Preadmission Testing (PAT) appointment and need for anesthesia assessment including, but not limited to:
* Health History and History and Physical.
* Drug allergies and reactions. Obtain alternative drug order if needed.
* Patient's current medications. Screens for sub-bacterial endocarditis (SBE) and coverage as needed.
* Recent exposures and/or illnesses and respond appropriately.
* Screens patient for eligibility for PAT appointments based on screening criteria.
* Schedules PAT appointments as appropriate within required timelines.
* Identifies individual patient issues or special needs that have the potential to create a variance in patient outcomes or delay the delivery of care and communicates findings to appropriate providers.
* Provides evidence that screening functions meet defined standards for patient outcomes and department requirements on an ongoing basis.
Patient Instructions and Education:
* During outbound screening telephone call, instructs patient/responsible party regarding pre- and post-operative/procedure instructions. Responds to questions regarding procedures. Provides guidance and support.
* Reviews and clarifies time and place of arrival; preparations to be completed at home or at the Medical Center prior to procedure; and medication administration prior to the procedure according to physician/anesthesia guidelines.
* Provides information related to pain management.
* Provides information related to any applicable special programs such as Joint Center, Woman's Care, etc.
* Assess patient's ability to meet home care needs. Provides instructions for home care.
* Initiates the discharge planning process by using established screening criteria to identify potential difficulties and high-risk cases.
* Disseminates pertinent information to appropriate Case Manager.
* Completes Patient Screening/Education Productivity Log at end of shift.
* Maintains productivity standard of 1.5 patient preadmission screenings per hour.
* Provides shift supervision for CARE office operations under the direction of the Coordinator.
* Effectively delegates responsibilities and ensures quality and productivity standards are met.
* Orients and mentors new associates to scheduling and/or screening functions.
* Promotes collegial relationships and integrates call center operations to support ancillary and clinical departments.
* Facilitates department excellence through leadership in maintaining one of the following: policy/procedures and standards, contributing member on assigned teams, orientation program, or skill validation.
* Evaluates effectiveness of teaching and provides evidence of meeting patient and department defined outcomes.
* Reads MOX and e-mail communications daily when working.
Scheduling (the following section may not be required for all CARE RNs):
* Provides consultation to Health Resources Representative III and IV (LPN role) utilizing critical thinking skills to support decision making related to complex patient or medical situations.
* Ensures that information needed to effectively schedule appointments/reservations and teach patients is programmed in Meditech Scheduling module and included in department standards.
* Collaborates with departments to ensure consistency of patient information.
* Establishes and maintains a positive impression with all customers and peers.
* Schedules all appointments and reservations in Meditech computer system following departmental standards.
* Takes and transcribes physician orders into Meditech computer system.
* Ensures that all physician orders address identified patient issues and needs.
* Provides general patient instructions for all appointments and reservations scheduled.
* Maintains accuracy standards and productivity standard of a minimum of 7.0 events per hour.
* Maintains a minimum of 85% availability per telephone ACD standards.
* Supports the Health Resources Representative, Level IV with Bed Placement calls as required.
* Marginal Job Functions:
* Orients new associates to the scheduling or screening functions as directed.
* Performs circulating functions of Health Resources Representative role as needed.
* Assists with hiring process as requested.
* Actively participates in membership on a team and/or completion of special projects as assigned.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities Required
* Graduate of accredited school of nursing (AD, Diploma or Baccalaureate).
* Currently licensed to practice as a registered professional nurse in the State of Nebraska.
* Minimum of three years clinical experience required.
* Demonstrates knowledge of general medical tests, procedures and surgeries.
* Demonstrates understanding of patient education principles and ability to adapt to patient/family
* special needs.
* Is socially sensitive and nonjudgmental in all communications.
* Demonstrates good communication, team-building and positive problem-solving skills.
* Proficient with basic computer skills. Basic word processing skills required with the ability to type
* 35 words per minute.
* Professionalism/Growth and Development:
* Completes mandatory education as assigned by quarterly deadline.
* Attends and participates in 80% of Department meetings and in-services as directed.
* Maintains skills/competencies required for the position.
* Demonstrates organization, accuracy and ability to complete work on time.
* Physical Demands and Environmental Conditions:
* Working in an office setting in a confined space sitting for up to 8 hours.
* Constant and repetitive work answering and processing telephone calls while simultaneously
* performing data entry and report productions.
* Extensive work at computer and use of telephone headset is required.
* Demonstrates organization, accuracy and ability to complete work on time.
* May be required to work additional shifts or change shifts.
* Operates and performs basic problem solving of computer printers, credit card processor, fax,
* copy machine and phone system.
* Must be able to process calls effectively in occasional and stressful situations where callers are
* dissatisfied with a service, caregiver, interaction or are limited in their ability to communicate.
Ages of Patients Served
* Neonates, children, adolescents, adults and geriatrics.