Title: Coding Specialist II (REMOTE) - Nebraska Heart Hospital, Lincoln, NE
Other Locations: Texas, Colorado, Kansas, Arkansas, Missouri
At Conifer Health Solutions, we offer the strength and stability of Tenet Healthcare, a Fortune 500 company, with the ingenuity and energy of a healthcare independent. We are a healthcare solutions company born from the healthcare industry. We take care of hospital business, so hospitals can focus on caring for patients. Ready to be part of our solutions? Welcome to a company that gives you the resources and incentives to redefine healthcare services, with the benefits and leadership to take your career to the next step!
Reviews inpatient and/or outpatient medical records to assign ICD-9-CM and CPT-4 diagnostic and procedure codes for statistical classification and reimbursement purposes.
Principal Duties and Responsibilities
* Assigns diagnosis and procedure codes to inpatient and outpatient medical records.
* Enters all patient records into SoftMed and encoder, as appropriate.
* Utilizes an encoder and all available references to help ensure accurate and consistent code and DRG assignment.
* Maintains current knowledge of ICD-9-CM and CPT-4 codes and respective coding guidelines.
* Keeps abreast of changes in coding and abstracting requirements.
* Assists with QIO activity and billing denials as it relates to coding issues.
* Answers phone and provides information requested.
* Remains current on all HIM software and hospital wide software as relates to duties.
* Participates in PI projects, as requested.
* Participates as a team member and providesLeadershipto colleagues, students and other team members to ensure that workloads are distributed fair and equal and that our number one goal of providingExcellenceof service and care to our patients and their families is accomplished everyday.
* Consistently and reliably works scheduled hours.
* Maintains strict confidentiality of patient and families.
* Willingly shares and promotes expertise andTeamworkwith fellow members and assists in the orientation of new staff.
* Consistently seeks ways to improve work procedures and methods to increase effectiveness and efficiency in the organization.
* Committed to conducting all behavior withIntegrityand high ethical standards.
* Communicates with patients, families and team members in a manner which promotes dignity andRespect.
* Performs other duties as may be assigned by management.
Minimum Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required:
* Knowledge of general office practices and procedures.
* Knowledge of various office equipment including fax, copier, telephone, etc.
* Knowledge of ICD-9-CM and CPT-4 coding guidelines.
* Knowledge of DRG and ACP payment systems.
* Skill in using a personal computer including keyboard, windows and various software packages.
* Ability to examine documents for accuracy and completeness.
* Ability to follow written and oral instruction.
* Ability to maintain the strictest of confidentiality.
* Ability to communicate clearly and concisely.
* Ability to work effectively with physicians, co-workers and the public.
* Ability to accept and cope with change.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
* High school graduate or equivalent is required.
* Completion of basic coding course (academic, seminar, workshop or facility-based), including medical terminology and basic anatomy and physiology, or an equivalent combination of education and experience also required.
* One year of experience performing medical record coding in acute care setting preferred. Prefer RHIT, RHIA, or CCS.
TYPICAL PHYSICAL DEMANDS:
* The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
* Prolonged standing or sitting.
* Frequent bending, stooping or stretching.
* Hand-eye coordination and manual dexterity.
* Ability to distinguish letters or symbols.
* Manual and finger dexterity to operate a computer keyboard, fax, copier, phone.
* Requires repetitive motion.
* Occasionally lifting files weighing up to 10 pounds.
* Vision and hearing correctable to normal range.
* Normal office environment; or in an at-home setting.