Title: Automation Engineer
Job Number: OTH10179
In conjunction with Canaan Central Engineering coordinates, manages, oversees and implements multiple/major engineering projects. Work includes vendor interaction, design concepts, specifications and negotiations. Also includes the oversight of machine purchase and installations, as well as the building of whole machines or components thereof. Provides significant input as to process and machine designs for the present and the future.
Coordinates efforts with R&D, Quality, and Manufacturing, to work on developing and implementing high speed printing, assembly, thermoforming, and packaging machines, along with integrated material handling required for cost effective medical mfg.
Scope of Responsibility:
· Strategic Impact/Accountability - This position is accountable for working primarily within BD Medical Systems but occasionally will conduct engineering business with other divisions or plants in other countries. Engineering knowledge and concepts should remain company confidential.
· Sphere of Influence (liaison) - Works with all manufacturing areas of the Canaan Plant regarding process and machine designs and concepts. Works with process, manufacturing, packaging, and quality engineers and management (and occasionally interfacing with other BD Plants) to develop, design, purchase and/or fabricate equipment or processes for the Canaan Plant.
· Required Skills and Knowledge - B.S. Engineering. Very strong computer skills (Project management, data bases/statistical packages) and interpersonal and communication (technical writing and presentation) skills. Good understanding of PLC and PC based machine control systems. Autodesk Inventor, Excel, Word, Powerpoint, MS Project, and Visio software expertise. Medical Validation experience desirable.
· Technical Area of Expertise - Large Project Management Responsibility, Mechanical Machine Design Expertise, and a good understanding of Electrical Controls, Sensors, and Vision Systems. Knowledge of high-speed packaging, high speed assembly, and parts feeding concepts. Able to manage multiple projects.
IMPACT OF RESULTS
· Degree of Accountability (discretion/supervision) - Works independently with little input and supervision required. Develops project and/or machine design concepts with cross functional teams including input from plant staff, peers, designers, and department associates. All project and engineering work is subject to Engineering and Operations Management approval as well as the Plant Staff approval. Able to communicate and present project status to applicable departments and plant leadership on a regular basis.
· Financial Impact -. Leads, manages, and drives projects ranging from $400K to $3MM. Able to work through delays and problems while still meeting deadlines and budgets. Writes capital expenditure requests.
· Decision Making - Broad responsibility regarding project design implementation but is subject to Engineering Management and Plant Staff approval.
Five to Ten years of automation experience in a medical manufacturing environment. Strong diagnostic abilities, with excellent project management skills.
Proficient computer skills (Microsoft Office/Autodesk packages).
Working knowledge of Six Sigma (Greenbelt/Blackbelt desired) and Continuous Improvement / Lean preferred.
B.S. Degree in Engineering or a related field.