Title: Medical Director, Disability Claims
Location: United States-Connecticut-Hartford
Other Locations: United States-Florida-Maitland, United States-California-Rancho Cordova, United States-New York-Syracuse, United States-Georgia-Alpharetta, United States-Minnesota-Bloomington
The Medical Director will provide physician leadership for Group Benefits Claims with a focus on assessment and management of disability cases at a regional and/or diagnosis specific level. The Medical Director is responsible for detailed file reviews of complex disability cases, providing training for clinical and non-clinical staff regarding disability issues and providing direction to clinical and non-clinical staff regarding disability claim management. The Medical Director will also perform peer to peer discussion with treating providers regarding the functional status and progress of complex disability claims. This role will report to the Commercial Markets Medical Practices Organization.
This role may be located in Hartford, CT; Bloomington, MN; Maitland, FL; Atlanta, GA; Syracuse, NY; or Sacramento, CA. For the right candidate, remote work with significant travel will be considered.
* Support GBC claim operations through staff training, file reviews, roundtable discussions and peer to peer conversations in support of accurate claim management. 70%
* Provide oversight of clinical aspects of claims through file reviews, quality assessment, and development of claim management standards. 20%
* Support sales and marketing through customer meetings and stewardships, RFP responses, finalist presentations, and presentations at national and regional industry meetings. 10%
* Stay current on changing medical trends
* Be approachable and available as a resource within the department and company
* Some travel will be required
* Board Certification in a medical specialty, preferably Occupational/Preventive Medicine, Internal Medicine, Family Medicine, Orthopedics, Physical Medicine & Rehabilitation, or Emergency Medicine required
* Current active license to practice medicine in the U.S. - MD or DO
* Minimum of five (5) years of active clinical medicine practice
* Two (2) years of experience in disability or workers' compensation with an insurance company, large carrier or large employer -strongly preferred
* Candidates with limited disability management experience may be considered
* Proven credibility in the local medical community
* History of participation of regional or national specialty society activities, ideally at a leadership level is strongly preferred
* Advanced degree (MPH, MBA, etc.) preferred
* Academic experience (medical school or university faculty) preferred
* Published papers on work-related topics, preferably disability or industry-related preferred
* Experience managing staff is helpful
* Strong presence and level of self-confidence that builds trust and credibility with an audience
* Excellent teaching skills
* Evidence of willingness to appropriately challenge the status quo
* Personal integrity and company loyalty
* High level of energy
* Inspires Excellence. Champions a compelling vision, exudes passion for winning with integrity that energizes the entire team.is visible and genuine.
* Talent Champion. Builds a high performing team, empowers and develops others and fosters a diverse and inclusive environment where employees feel valued and are recognized and rewarded for their contributions.
* Delivers Results. Focuses on key priorities, drives simplicity and clear accountabilities, removes obstacles and has a bias for action.
* Trusted Decision-Maker. Applies sound judgment, relevant information and good instincts to make, support and implement high quality, timely decisions.has the courage to take risks - is a straight talker.
* Team Player. Drives an enterprise focus, balances individual needs with organizational priorities, and holds themselves and others accountable for working seamlessly across the lines of business and functions to maximize the return for the organization and drive One Hartford Culture.
* Forward Thinker. Sees beyond the immediate, looks at trends and external market opportunities. Drives growth and innovation - is not hindered by the way we've always done things." Seeks new experiences and is a life long learner.
About The Hartford
The Hartford Financial Services Group Inc. (NYSE: HIG) is a leading provider of insurance and wealth management services for millions of consumers and businesses worldwide. The Hartford is consistently recognized for its superior service, its sustainability efforts and as one of the world's most ethical companies. In 2011, The Hartford reported revenues of $21.9 billion. More information on the company and its financial performance is available at
The Hartford believes people should live with financial confidence. The Hartford exists to provide the confidence and peace of mind that helps people achieve their financial goals. We enable this confidence though the breadth of our product portfolio and relationships and the depth of our knowledge.
The Hartford's biggest competitive advantage is our employees. We hire a broad range of talented teammates from diverse backgrounds and cultures. We look for teammates who share ourcore valuesand bring passion to their jobs. Our values are projected in the way we interact with customers and among our teams.
We are an innovative leader in the industry and have been recognized by:
* Ethisphere Instituteas One of the "World's Most Ethical Companies" for five consecutive years
* GI Jobsas a 2012 Top 100 Military Friendly Employer
* Military Times Edgeas a 2011 Best for Vets" Employer
* Carbon Disclosure Project's Carbon Disclosure Leadership Indexfor The Hartford's approach to climate change disclosure for four consecutive years (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011)
* NewsweekGreen Rankings - No. 12 on the list of U.S. Companies (2011)
* PhoenixBusiness Journalas a Best Place to Work (2011)
* The Chicago Tribuneas a Top Workplace (2011)
* The San Antonio Express Newsas a Top Workplace (2011)
* AtlantaJournal-Constitutionas a Top Workplace(2011)
* IndianapolisStaras a Top Workplace(2011)
* The Hartford Courantand FOXCT as a Top Workplace(2011)
* OKCBiz as a Best Place to Work(2011)
The Hartford is an Equal Employment Opportunity and Affirmative Action Employer.
The Hartford maintains a drug-free workplace.
Committed to Building Inclusion and Leveraging Diversity
** NO AGENCIES PLEASE **