Title: SR PRIN SCIENTIST, IMMUN AND INFLAM
Location: Americas-United States-Connecticut
The Immunology & Inflammation department is seeking a dynamic and entrepreneurial Senior Principal Scientist to join our Ridgefield, CT Research team. The successful candidate will lead, design and implement innovative histological and cytological technologies to support our understanding of target to disease linkage for our small molecule- and biotherapeutics-based portfolio.
As an employee of Boehringer Ingelheim, you will actively contribute to the discovery, development and delivery of our products to our patients and customers. Our global presence provides opportunity for all employees to collaborate internationally, offering visibility and opportunity to directly contribute to the companies'' success. We realize that our strength and competitive advantage lie with our people. We support our employees in a number of ways to foster a healthy working environment, meaningful work, diversity and inclusion, mobility, networking and work-life balance. Our competitive compensation and benefit programs reflect Boehringer Ingelheim''s high regard for our employees.
Duties & Responsibilities:
* Develop new concepts, methodologies, protocols and test procedures that reflect expert knowledge to facilitate the understanding of target to disease relationships and molecular/cellular mechanism of action in immune-mediated disease indications.
* Independently design and execute innovative experiments in the areas of histology, analytical cytology (including immunohistochemistry, immunocytochemistry and immunofluorescence) and multiparameter flow cytometry.
* Serve as a project leader to lead key Research activities to faciliate preclinical development nominations.
* Establish and maintain effective networks with internal and external stakeholders.
* Develop an understanding of R&D team goals and works effectively toward achieving them.
* Independently prepare and communicate technical reports, publications and oral presentations.
* Deliver updates to senior level management in context of overall project goals.
* Keep abreast of relevant literature and develop visibility outside of functional area.
* Assume responsibility for direct reports as needed including recruiting, managing, mentoring and developing scientific staff.
* PhD in Cell Biology, Histology, Imaging Science or a related discipline with 8 years experience in addition to experience in lab management.
* A deep understanding of cell biology and immunology concepts and a history of applying this knowledge to support drug discovery and development.
* In-depth knowledge and expertise in all aspects of tissue handling and preparation, immunolabelling including the generation and validation of antibodies, selection of fixatives, execution of antigen-retrieval technologies and enzyme-linked detection systems.
* Prior evidence of successfully applying quantitative image analysis to address key scientific hypotheses, and of supporting innovative cellular imaging technology development and applications.
* Strong expertise in all aspects and applications of multiparameter flow cytometry. Experience in cell sorting is a plus.
* Ability to drive internal and external histology, immunostaining and flow cytometry studies involving either clinical and preclinical samples to support timely decision making.
* Demonstrated capacity for robust and innovative problem solving skills.
* Provides administration within area of responsibility including: recruiting, managing, mentoring and developing scientific staff; Provide assistance in the preparation and management of operating and capital equipment budgets, as required.
* Excellent communication and writing proficiencies.
* Productive publication record in peer reviewed journals.
* Must be legally authorized to work in the United States without restriction.
* Must be willing to submit to a background investigation, including verification of your past employment, criminal history, and educational background
* Must be willing to take a drug test and post-offer physical (if required)
* Must be 18 years of age or older
Boehringer Ingelheim is a different kind of pharmaceutical company, a privately held company with the ability to have an innovative and long term view. Our focus is on scientific discoveries that improve patients'' lives and we equate success as a pharmaceutical company with the steady introduction of truly innovative medicines. Boehringer Ingelheim is the largest privately held pharmaceutical corporation in the world and ranks among the world''s 20 leading pharmaceutical corporations. At Boehringer Ingelheim, we are committed to delivering value through innovation. Employees are challenged to take initiative and achieve outstanding results. Ultimately, our culture and drive allows us to maintain one of the highest levels of excellence in our industry. Boehringer Ingelheim, including Boehringer Ingelheim Pharmaceuticals, Inc., Boehringer Ingelheim USA, Boehringer Ingelheim Roxane Inc., Roxane Laboratories Inc., Boehringer Ingelheim Chemicals, Boehringer Ingelheim Vetmedica Inc. and Ben Venue Laboratories Inc., is an equal opportunity employer. M/F/D/V
Boehringer Ingelheim is firmly committed to ensuring a safe, healthy, productive and efficient work environment for our employees, partners and customers. As part of that commitment, Boehringer Ingelheim conducts pre-employment background investigations and drug screenings.