Requisition # 20208BR
Title Research Associate
Functional Unit Research - Maize Trait Commercialization
City Waimea, Kauai
Country United States (USA)
Position Type Full-Time Regular
Hiring Manager Title Senior Research Associate
Job Description The Research Associate in Trait Integration conducts day-to-day nursery activities related to the Waimea, Kauai, backcrossing and hand pollinated transfer nurseries to quickly and efficiently integrate valuable traits into elite germplasm. Duties include all areas of a large nursery operation including key computer operations as well as enclosed structure activities, internal and external regulatory compliance, and working as part of an integrated team within the Waimea research center.
Duties/Responsibilities 1. Manages the daily field operations and provides computer support to backcrossing and hand pollinated transfer nurseries. Coordinates planting, sampling, plant selection tagging, note-taking, pollinating, harvesting, sorting, shelling, and packaging for planting to ensure high-quality conversions. 20%
2. Ensures locations are set-up properly in the field in compliance to all internal, local, state and federal laws and policies such as but not limited to security, safety, RMS, and Regulatory. 5%
3. Specific focus area for Research Associate is to manage the enclosed structure nursery turn process beginning at pollination and including harvest, replanting, shipping and/or seed storage (inventory tracking). Supervises all aspects of the maintenance of physical and electronic seed inventory as it relates to the enclosed structure process. 50%
4. Responsible for all field and other crop data taken and assures it is collected and stored in a timely manner. 10%
5. Supervises Research Assistants and temporary workers providing strong technical problem solving to obtain consistent results in conversions, seed production, and event/conversion evaluation data. 15%
1. May be requested to assist in conducting experiments at other Research sites, laboratory areas, or groups.
2. May be requested to maintain appropriate inventory of chemicals and/or supplies necessary for the completion of experiments at work location.
Education and Experience Bachelors degree in agriculture or scientific related field and minimum of 2 to 4 years of industry related experience required, or equivalent levels of relevant education and experience.
Competencies Excellent verbal and written communication skills as well as math and computer skills. Broad theoretical grounding and understanding in specialized or technical areas (i.e. chemistry, biology, engineering). May be required to do physical lifting and work in varying ergonomic environments.