Medtronic is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer
Medtronic develops and markets medical devices based on a patented platform technology that is transforming current surgical procedures. Medtronic Advanced Energy (MAE) technology combines a conductive fluid, infused at the point of tissue contact, with radio-frequency energy to seal tissue.
Due to company growth, new expansion plans, and new product, the company wants to strengthen its sales organization. The Account Manager will be responsible for creating an effective sales presence in his/her area, learning the product line and its applications under different environments, following-up on leads with a multi-prong contact approach, achieving sales targets, and utilizing the Medtronic Sales process for each class of customers. The key emphasis during the first year will be to open new accounts, maintain any existing business and grow overall business > $200k.
1. Learn the Product Line: During the first month meet with all key personnel to learn all aspects of the technology. Complete all modules in Medtronic Advanced Energy’s on-line training and attend home-officer training program to learn all aspects of the technology/product line: Address technical aspects, specific industry applications, selling process, pricing, and score at least 90% or better on comprehensive test. Attend procedure(s) with designated Medtronic Advanced Energy’s representative before training. Be in a position to present the technology, in the Operating Room or office setting, within 45 days.
Implement Key Account Program: Identify the major new and existing accounts in the territory. Review the selling process by account. Include the identification of major target accounts, determine the sales team and staff support needs, assess need for the addition of new selling programs and processes, conduct competitive analysis, and implement the plan of action. This should be available within 60 days for review between you and your RBD:
Prioritize the territory within 30days;
Profile four of the top 10 accounts in the first 30 days; and,
Develop account plans for profiled accounts in 45 days.
2. Achieve Sales Targets and Quotas: In the first 45 days, conduct a complete review of the territory’s sales plans and current tactics. Quickly identify the key voids and develop new programs to meet the company’s aggressive sales plans to increase market share:
Open one new account with a stocking order within 90 days; and,
Meet or exceed your quarterly revenue target within 180 days.
3. Keep Current With Administrative Task: Sales Management requires several ongoing tasks to help ensure success of the business. The successful Account Manager will provide the ABD timely:
90-day rolling forecast every thirty days. Provide information by account in unit volume.
Forecast is used to project manufacture resource needs and future business strength;
Expense reports bimonthly;
Quarterly business objectives and periodic updated account plan: per RBD instruction; and,
Team sharing successful tactics, tough objections and product issues.
4. Develop Account Relationships: Within 2 quarters arrange and conduct educational in-services in top four accounts. Conduct Technical Symposium(s) in top four accounts within 2 quarters. Create relationships with all clinical and administrative personnel in key accounts. Identify opportunity to introduce Medtronic Advanced Energy’s executive management to major accounts.
5. Jointly develop a team strategy –this includes marketing, clinical, education and management-- that involves being actively engaged in helping the organization succeed while exercising independent, critical judgment of goals, tasks and methods:
Share and exchange information with team; particularly critical when sharing successful tactics, tough objections and product issues; and,
Commit to and build trust that binds the team to take on and complete substantial initiatives.
The person selected for this position should have at least 2-5 years in sales and experience in surgical sales or a related industry, selling in the Operating Room;
Familiarity with general surgery is expected;
The candidate should have exposure to selling medical devices, using a concept selling process, to a customer base consisting of surgeons;
The person selected should have a record of accomplishment of building and managing strong sales, introducing new marketing programs, managing costs, budgeting, developing sales forecasting methods, improving margins, and increasing revenue; and,
The person needs to work in a culture that emphasizes superior customer service, empowerment, participation and openness, and be effective in working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, start-up environment.
Travel throughout territory required;
Medtronic sales employees are required to legally possess and carry a valid driver’s license (valid in the USA) and to own car insurance equal to that required by law;
Meets and occasionally exceed the duties and responsibilities of the job;
Regular presentations to individuals as well as large and small groups;
Responsible for executing an innovative marketing strategy using the Internet as the cornerstone of demand generation and education;
Successful completion including passing grades in all sales training programs is mandatory and a condition of employment;
Ability to manage personal computer, including Microsoft Office, spreadsheet, and database software; motor vehicle, phone; and,
Failure to meet criteria for successful completion of sales training will result in termination of employment with Medtronic.
Physical Job Requirements
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to sit and reach with hands and arms. The employee is regularly required to stand; walk and use hands to finger, handle, or feel. The employee must frequently lift and/or move up to 50 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include ability to adjust focus.
Copies of immunization records must be forwarded to and filed with Vendormate within the first 30 days of employment. This ensures that Medtronic can quickly respond to and complete hospital registrations which ultimately results in getting the employee quickly and properly qualified to enter the OR of targeted hospitals and in front of prospective customers without unnecessary delays. Immunization records include:
1. MMR Immunity vaccination;
2. Chicken Pox (Varicella) Immunity;
3. Tdap (Tetanus, Diphtheria, Pertussis) every 10 years;
4. Hepatitis B Vaccination (a three series vaccination);
5. Negative TB Test or Chest X-ray (annual test); and,
6. Drug/alcohol testing – currently, on an as-needed basis.