Title: Advanced Development Engineer
Location: US-Michigan-Marshall-1507 South Kalamazoo Avenue
The Staff Advanced Product Development Engineer is responsible for new product development of components and systems, related to engine thermal management. The work assignments are project based and require the development of totally new product concepts. Designs must be analytically evaluated for feasibility, proof of concept, developed, evaluated, tested, verified and launched into production. This position will obtain and access technical requirements from numerous sources in order to effectively meet and create future product needs. The position requires the preparation of engineering reports and presentations to clearly convey project progress, conclusions and recommendations. The Advanced Development Engineer will be responsible for the overall design to ensure its compliance to the customer and market requirements. Interface with manufacturing engineering, sales, and marketing groups is expected as part of working collaboratively in a group / team atmosphere. Innovation is the significant contribution of this position.
Provide detailed and accurate analytical evaluations of concepts prior to concept selectionResponsible for design through concept, DV and PV processes
Develop and maintain DFMEAs
Perform engineering analysis using engineering analysis tools and methods
Apply GD&T to design for function and gauging
Prepare specifications for assemblies and components
Provide required inputs for budgetary planning
Independent procurement of material through use of central purchase order systems
Use effective project timeline management and product development processes
Effectively utilize the work order system to initiate jobs through CAD, model shop and development areas
Effectively maintain required documentation in accordance with BorgWarner Quality System procedures and processes
Provide timely project status reports, in written or verbal format as requested
Assist in preparation and presentation of concept and test proposals to customers
Work effectively with internal service groups and suppliers such as test engineering, CAD design, laboratory technicians and manufacturing to ensure effective coordination and completion of projects
Stay abreast of current and future engineering technology - attend trade shows, read pertinent trade publications and solicit new ideas from vendors and associates to keep BorgWarner in the technological forefront
EDUCATION / EXPERIENCE:
* B.S. Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering required; M.S. Mechanical Engineering or Electrical Engineering preferred
* Professional Engineer (P.E.) license preferred
* Minimum 10 years of Product Engineering experience required; 15 years preferred
* Minimum 5 years automotive, commercial vehicle and/or off-road experience
* Experience developing product from concept to production
* Rotational product experience (i.e. pumps, motors, compressors, clutches) required
* Cooling system products or system development experience preferred
* Manufacturing launch / resident engineering experience a plus
KNOWLEDGE / SKILLS / ABILITIES
* Ability to innovate and describe new product concepts that meet a customer or market need
* Demonstrated knowledge of engineering analysis tools and methods
* Product application of GD&T to design for fuction and gaging
* Demonstrated creation of DFMEA's
* Working knowledge of the DVP&R process
* Proficient knowledge of the use of engineering analysis tools (i.e. FEA, CFD)
* Working knowledge of bearings, seals, tribology and manufacturing processes
* Demonstrated knowledge of project planning and execution
* High mechanical aptitude
* Professional communication and presentation skills
* Professional interpersonal skills to effectively interact and collaborate with internal and external customers
* Ability to follow through and coordinate projects from start to completion
* Proficient in MS Office applications (Outlook ,Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Project)
* Priority Setting- Spends his/her time and the time of others on what's important; Quickly zeros in on the critical few and puts the trivial many aside; Can quickly sense what will help or hinder accomplishing a goal; Eliminates roadblocks; Creates focus.
* Decision Quality- Makes good decisions (without considering how much time it takes) based on a mixture of analysis, wisdom, experience, and judgement; Most of his/her solutions and suggestions turn out to be correct and accurate when judged over time; Sought out by others for advice and solutions.
* Motivating Others- Creates a climate in which people want to do their best; Can motivate many kinds of direct reports and team or project members; Can assess each person's hot button and use it to get the best out of him/her; Pushes tasks and decisions down; Empowers others; Invites input from each person and shares ownership and visibility; Makes each individual feel his/her work is important; Is someone people like working for and with.
* Building Effective Teams- Blends people into teams when needed; Creates strong morale and spirit in his/her team; Shares wins and successes; Fosters open dialogue; Lets people finish and be responsible for their work; Defines success in terms of the whole team; Creates a feeling of belonging in the team.
* Problem Solving- Uses rigorous logic and methods to solve difficult problems with effective solutions; Probes all fruitful sources for answers; Can see hidden problems; Is excellent at honest analysis; Looks beyond the obvious and doesn't stop at the first answers.
* Timely Decision Making- Make decisions in a timely manner; Doing so at times with incomplete information and under tight deadlines and pressure; Able to make a quick decision.
* Drive for Results- Can be counted on to exceed goals successfully; Is constantly and consistently one of the top performers; Very bottom-line oriented; Steadfastly pushes self and others for results.
* Dealing with Ambiguity- Can effectively cope with change; Can shift gears comfortably; Can decide and act without having the total picture; Isn't upset when things are up in the air; Doesn't have to finish things before moving on; Can comfortably handle risk and uncertainty.
* Listening- Practices attentive and active listening; Has the patience to hear people out; Can accurately restate the opinions of others even when he/she disagrees.
* Functional Technical Skills- Has the functional knowledge and skill to do the job at a high level of accomplishment.