Category : IT - Database
Location/City : MI - Ann Arbor
Title:Senior UNIX Systems Engineer
Works on range of servers from VMs to Blades to SMP. Supporting OS builds, upgrades and patches as well as user requests and instruction. Experience with various versions of Linux, and Unix such as SUSE, Redhat, Solaris, AIX, and HPUX. Experience with servers supporting Oracle RAC desirable. Must make suggestions and recommendations to improve existing servers and infrastructure. Experience with SAN and NAS as well as local raid controllers. Able to support utilities such as Veritas, DNS, LDAP and automount. Ability to produce quality scripts in shell. Ability to learn and install and support new applications. Must be able to work independently with little to no supervision on large projects
Primary responsibilities include supporting servers from an operating system perspective and managing various business unit technical requirements. Must be proficient in supporting the Linux operating system, preferably SUSE Linux. Senior Systems Engineers must be able to manage project work, exhibiting strong time and project management skills. In addition, a Senior Systems Engineer will assist in testing and evaluation of new technologies to ensure compatibility and functionality, review business unit technical design proposals, participate in and lead project teams.
* BA, BS or AA or Equivalent work experience with 8+ years experience in related work
Knowledge and Skills
* Minimum of 5 years administering Redhat or SUSE 10/11 running in a 24x7 environment; including server builds, nfs, shell scripting, performance tuning, patch management and firmware updates
* Minmum 3 years experience administering AIX 5.x later.
* Implement software and hardware RAID solutions, including Linux LVM, Symantec/Veritas Volume Manager, Solaris Volume Manager
* Working knowledge of NAS and SAN technologies, preferably experience with Netapp, Hitachi Data Systems and EMC storage technologies
* Experience configuring backup tools like TSM and Symantec Networker.
* Research, test, and implement new hardware and software.
* Must have working knowledge of network (LAN/WAN) technologies and UNIX system management tools
* Knowledge of UNIX server hardware components
* Knowledge of Unix/Linux security hardening
* Experience in supporting systems running Oracle or Informix a plus.
* Adept at researching technology solutions with all available resources
* Identify and Generate innovative approaches and solutions to recurring tasks or problems.
* Proven analytical and trouble shooting skills
* Ability to set scope and deliver quality results
* Ability to determine and assign tasks to others to achieve project goals
* Strong scripting skills in one of the following; shell scripting, Python or PERL
* Utilize change and incident management systems to achieve highly available enterprise systems
* Very strong documentation and communication skills
* Experience using and tweaking monitoring tools such as Orion, Nagios and SiteScope.Previous Experience
* Preferable 8+ years of Operating System experience supporting sophisticated mission critical environments
* Demonstrated project guidance with delegation experience
* Preferable 3+ years of direct customer service experience