A Different Kind Of Adventure
At Columbia Sportswear, we know a thing or two about adventures. We’ve been on one for over 70 years, constantly working to perfect the art and enjoyment of the greater outdoors. And behind everything we make is an employee who’s found that the greatest adventure starts with joining a company that offers them much more than just a paycheck. At Columbia, we believe that there’s over 3.5 million square miles of land to explore in the U.S. alone, but you don’t have to travel very far to find a great career.
Manage all the day to day activities of the Columbia Sportswear (CSC) Outlet Store to ensure its efficient, profitable and customer-oriented sales operation. Evaluate and implement store operating standards, such as product flow, seasonal promotions and visual merchandising. Play a strategic role in Columbia Sportswear’s retail division by providing effective leadership to the staff while encouraging employee training/development and maintaining performance guidelines.
* Hiring, training, evaluating, and coaching staff as necessary to maintain a high level of service and quality.
* Provide effective training in the areas of customer service, product knowledge, inventory management, sales development and visual merchandising.
* Controlling budgetary expenses. Full P&L responsibility.
* Staffing store adequately to ensure a positive customer experience while maintaining labor management guidelines.
* Oversee all in-store daily activities to achieve sales, service and profitability objectives.
* Ensure consistent implementation of operating standards including product flow planning and execution, markdowns and seasonal promotions, marketing or in-store initiatives and visual presentation. Maintain appropriate lean inventories through managing turn and replenishment.
* Through training and audit processes, ensure accuracy of opening and closing procedures, cashiering and returns, back-of-house operations, and all other functions related to store operations. Minimize shrink through maintaining operational policies, accurate paperwork, efficient processes and exceptional customer service.
* Perform timely completion of all recordkeeping associated with applicants, new hires, payroll, performance appraisals, salary reviews, counselling, disciplinary actions and terminations.
* Develop and maintain operating budget managing expense control within division guidelines to deliver positive results.
* Communicate monthly store P&L results to Store Management Team.
* Develop store goals, and executable strategies to accomplish these goals. Continually track and monitor performance and progress towards the goals and communicate regularly with the team to evaluate & progress and accomplishments.
* Develop and implement action plans to address any issues relating to store sales, goals, safety, training and personnel development.
* Develop and implement motivational incentives for sales staff. Track employee results and modify goals accordingly.
* Maintain positive open lines of communication with all Columbia Sportswear management, merchandising staff, all other internal departments and outside suppliers in order to contribute to the smooth flow of information and efficient operation of the organization.
* Act with integrity as a leader in the organization and embrace company ethics and values. Adhere to core values and create an environment of respect and trust in the store.
Communicate with District Manager on weekly basis providing relevant market information as well as store and employee success with regards to sales and customer service.
Develop bench strength and career paths within the store. Motivate and develop staff in an effort ensure a pool of potential Store Managers/ Supervisors to help meet long range growth plans of the retail division.
Perform other duties as assigned.
Job has some variety in terms of special plans and goals. Incumbent provides input into developing store practices and procedures. Duties are performed with only general directions and goals and work is checked or verified more by results. Decisions are made within general company policy constraints. Errors in judgment could affect the profitability of the outlet store and discredit the company's reputation with its customers.
Job includes full supervisory responsibility for the Store Assistant Manager(s), Supervisors, and Store Staff. Supervisory responsibility includes employee evaluation, employee counselling and/or discipline, approving timecards, any overtime, any absences and making any recommendations for hiring, terminations, pay changes, job changes, and training.
Contacts are made with others both inside and outside the organization. Internal contacts frequently include the VP of Retail and Senior level corporate management, National Store Operations Manager, Product Merchandise team, Safety and security, and HR teams. External contacts frequently include customers and supply vendors. Interactions tend to focus on providing daily direction, providing assistance, information exchange and training. Contacts sometimes include sensitive or confidential personnel information. Incumbent often initiates communication on his/her own through various means including phone, email, and face-to-face interaction.
The incumbent must also have the ability to build a cohesive team, and create strong morale by utilizing proven leadership, motivational and coaching techniques.
Excellent time management and problem solving abilities are required for success, as well as the ability to use good judgement and make strong independent decisions.
Skills in operating personal computers, POS systems and various software packages including Microsoft Word and Excel are needed. Ability to read, write, fluently speak, and understand English. Basic math ability. Mental ability to conduct interpersonal interactions with other company personnel and customers, provide coaching and mentoring to staff, troubleshoot, solve problems, make decisions independently, operate independently and with discretion, and work effectively under pressure.
Physical ability to use telephone, computerized cash register, computer hardware/software including keyboard, type, sit and stand for extended periods of time, move freely around store, and occasionally lift/carry up to 40 pounds.
Job will require hours that often exceed 8 hours per day and/or 45 hours per week during peak periods. Available to work store schedule – Sunday to Saturday. Occasionally required to stand for long periods of time. Job pressure exists in meeting store goals and managing personal and others' time. Willingness to set and maintain high standards of performance. Exposure to a computer CRT.
job description is not meant to be an all-inclusive list of duties and responsibilities, but constitutes a general definition of the position's scope and function in the company.
Columbia Sportswear is an equal opportunity employer.