Title: VP, Corporate Counsel - Part Time
Location: United States-New Jersey-Newark
The Law Department ERISA/Benefits group seeks an attorney to join its team in providing legal advice concerning a broad range of ERISA and employee benefit issues to the Company's businesses. Under supervision, the attorney will provide quality, timely legal services and advice primarily in three areas: (i) our investment management businesses, for which the attorney would work on review of proposed investments for, and investment services to be offered to, ERISA clients; (ii) our Group Insurance business, in connection with group disability, life, and dental insurance plans (both insured and administrative services only arrangements); and (iii) the investment fiduciaries for the Company's own plans. Additional legal support may be provided to our Individual Insurance and Annuities divisions on issues related to developing and marketing products to qualified and non-qualified employee benefit plans and programs, including IRAs, section 403(b) plans, and employment-related life insurance plans.
The attorney will review investment management agreements, investment transaction documents, private placement offering materials, derivatives documentation, and other investment-related materials and will research IRS and DOL guidance to analyze transactions to determine whether potential prohibited transactions would occur and how they can be addressed by available exemptive relief. The attorney will also review and answer questions on plan documents, annuity endorsements, contracts, prospectuses, participant communications, insurance policies and certificates, Form 5500 filings, fee disclosures, and claims procedures in connection with ERISA and employee benefit plan concerns.
The candidate should have:
* At least seven years of ERISA Title I legal experience at a law firm or corporate law department (tenure with a governmental agency, such as the IRS or DOL or as an investment/qualified product professional may be considered in meeting this requirement);
* Superior interpersonal, organizational, written and oral communications skills and the ability to work independently and turn around documents promptly and accurately;
* Excellent judgment and high ethical standards;
* Strong project and time management skills; and
* The ability to balance multiple projects simultaneously and assess and prioritize work requirements.
* Must be willing to work a minimum of 25 hours.