Gnotobiotics Facility Manager
USA - NY - New York
Return to Previous Page
* Oversee isolator production.
* Build competence among employees by conducting or coordinating appropriate training activities and through appropriate supervisory related activities (e.g. recruitment, separation, performance appraisal, disciplinary actions, etc.) Supports and affirms the company policy of Equal Opportunity through Affirmative Action.
* Provide supervision, training, and mentoring to Animal Care Staff.
* Perform routine and complex husbandry and production duties.
* Ensure proper breeding procedures are followed and appropriate colony levels are maintained for optimum production.
* Perform health-monitoring and monitor results, notifying Principal Investigator (PI) of variances.
* Ensure all Isolators and entrance/exit rooms are maintained in a clean and orderly manner.
* Assist and work with PI on special projects or studies.
* Identify and implement techniques to improve productivity, increase efficiency and reduce cost.
* Coordinate staffing assignments in temporary absence of personnel. Approve the coordination and scheduling for weekend, and holiday coverage and use of overtime.
* Administer all animal orders shipped from the Isolators and packing room.
* Ensure compliance with all Biosecurity procedures necessary to maintain the integrity of the animals, Isolator and packing room.
* Review customer complaints with Operation Specialist, management and staff to pro-actively resolve and correct any problems.
* Report all aspects of Isolator production and staff to PI.
* Maintain Isolator Breeding Records including Foundation Charts and reports of all colony levels, number of new births, litters weaned, weanling disposition, retirement, number of animals shipped, timed pregnant orders and animals euthanized for all strains in each Isolator. Update client Animal Colony Management database system weekly. Perform complex husbandry and specialized production duties requiring technical expertise to maintain and monitor the health, production and physical environment of Charles River/ client animals within the Isolators. Assist in the training of other Isolator employees on technical skills and Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs).
* Prepare and provide weekly and monthly reports to the Facility Director and Operation Specialist.
* Develop and maintain all Isolator Standard Operating Procedures.
* Ensure all staff is trained and compliant with all SOPs, policies and procedures.
* Assist in development of
Job descriptions for subordinate positions.
* Reviews and approves timecards and vacation/time off requests.
* Ensures accurate and timely submission of Accident/Injury Reports to HR.
* Responsible for Performance reviews of all Isolator production employees.
* Ensure equipment is functioning properly; submit Work Orders for repairs.
* Participates in plant tours.
* Other duties as assigned.
* Education: Bachelor’s degree (BA/BS) or equivalent in life sciences or related discipline required.
* Experience: Five years colony management, animal Production setting preferred. Four to Five years supervisory experience, one or two of which must be in an animal Production or Animal Research setting. Knowledge and previous isolator experience required.
* Certification/Licensure: AALAS certification at the Laboratory Animal Technician (LAT) level or its equivalent preferred.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Charles River Laboratories is an equal opportunity employer who values diversity in the workplace.
Return to Previous Page