Java Application Developer (BN.com Front & Back End Development)
Location: NY-New York
Barnes & Noble is looking for people with vision and energy to help us in our quest to change the future of reading. We are the world's largest bookseller and one of the world's fastest growing digital media and consumer technology companies with annual revenues near $7 billion.
We are headquartered in New York City with our NOOK design and development offices located in Palo Alto, California. In the last several years we have transformed ourselves to the only content retailer with a fully operational multi-channel strategy.
Our businesses include the nation's highest rated and most heavily trafficked specialty retail stores, digital content and hardware sales through our exploding NOOK(tm) brand, college bookstores, and online retailing through BN.com.
We are investing in all of our business initiatives, so the opportunities to make an impact have never been greater.
Our BN.com application development team is looking for a strong all around developer with an established background in developing consumer-facing experiences, a strong technical acumen, excellent software architecture skills, great communication skills and a motivation to overachieve.
The ideal candidate is eager to work with new tools and languages and realizes that it's all about problem solving and that syntax is secondary.
* An Agile Scrum environment that rewards problem solving, collaboration and innovation. Participation in code reviews, refactoring, and green field development.
* Rapid release cycles where you'll work side-by-side with other Engineers, Architects, Project Manager, Creative/User Experience Pros and QA.
* To work on stuff that really makes a difference: reading deeply, connecting readers with authors, engaging users with their social networks to do more than gossip, bringing next-generation reading and content to the next generation, and seeing your innovations come to life for millions of readers, students and educators too.
* Actively contribute to the overall design and architecture of overall web platform solutions.
* Develop responsive and elegant cross-platform functionality for web applications.
* Research new technologies and approaches to address business needs and improve existing systems.
* Take pride in writing high quality, robust, scalable and extensible code.
* Bring a positive attitude, high intellectual curiosity, and a desire to contribute to the team beyond your current role.
* 3+ years of stable, professional experience in the development and implementation of Java and J2EE business applications.
* Excellent experience of Object-Oriented Design & Development web paradigms and deep experience in working with data-driven websites.
* Strong expertise in object/data caching frameworks.
* Strong working knowledge of HTML, cross-browser CSS and semantic markup.
* Knowledge of cross-browser limitations and workarounds.
* Experience working with UI templates: JSP/JSTL, Tiles, HAML, FreeMarker, etc.
* A passion for fine-tuning applications, performance optimization and large scale end-to-end deployments.
* Excellent communication skills.
Nice to have's:
* Experience with Agile/TDD.
* Experience working with SOA using Web Services.
* Experience designing and developing eCommerce solutions.
* Experience working with Open Source Software tools and products.
* Strong experience with multi-threaded and highly scalable server-side development.
* Computer Science or engineering background.
Barnesandnoble.com LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer M/F/D/V