Req ID # 6958BR
Advertised Position Title Senior Image Scientist
Division Geospatial Systems
Work Location VA, Herndon
Job Description Our Image Scientists/Engineers are responsible for providing image expertise in support of developing analytical processes and tools as well as assessing image quality impacts associated with collection and processing for dissemination, storage, exploitation and display of digital imagery.
This position provides remote sensing imagery science support to customers on-site at their facility. The work involves highly complex and technical space-based remote sensing related products, using the application of engineering standards, principles, theories, concepts and techniques.
- Performing Image Quality (IQ) and Image Analysis related evaluations on digital imagery products using ''in-house'' tools. Required to draft test plans, perform evaluations, write final reports and brief results to community.
- Investigating, analyzing and providing solutions to complex technical problems encountered by engineering services.
- Researching, developing, and implementing advanced algorithm solutions for various image science applications.
- Authoring design documents, proposals and other technical articles; conferring with senior management, engineering personnel and customer representatives.
- Developing basic design ideas and methods of approach and proposing improvements or modifications to the basic design ideas and methods which would be more effective and involve less risk.
- Contributing to theoretical studies of involved technical subjects that find wide application to design problems or that are required where previous methods and techniques have not produced satisfactory results.
- Providing analysis and consultation to highly complex technical problems encountered by engineering.
- Performing special assignments as requested. May be required to perform other assignments which are normally related to the work of higher or lower engineering classifications.
- Mentoring junior level engineers as needed.
Required Experience: . B.S. degree, preferably in Image Science, Electrical Engineering, Computer Science, Mathematics or a related discipline with 10-15 years work experience or an MS degree with 5-10 years work experience, or a PhD with 0-5 years of experience required
. A thorough understanding of image processing and potential impacts to image quality and utility required
. Past experience developing and utilizing processing algorithms and tools for Lidar data
. Ability to develop and utilize image processing algorithms required
. Ability to travel up to 25% required
. Active TS/SCI security clearance required
Desired Skills: . Experience with analysis, simulation, and modeling of Lidar systems.
. Experience with image processing techniques.
. Experience with managing system performance prediction modeling and metrics.
. Experience with Advanced Geospatial Intelligence (AGI).
. Experience with imagery utility and psychophysical evaluations and modeling
. Experience with image compression algorithms.
. Experience with design of multi-variable experiments and related statistical data analysis.
. Experience with ENVI/IDL, Matlab, Unix based scripting, and/or C++ programming.
. Ability and desire to lead a group and provide guidance to junior engineers is a positive and opportunity for growth in this position.
. Successful candidate must be willing and able to perform in a fluid and dynamic multi-contractor environment.
Clearance Level Required at Start Date TS/SCI
Minimum Education Requirements BS/BA Degree or Equivalent
Percent of Travel Required 25%
Work Status Full-Time