Job Title Sr Food Scientist
Job Function Research and Development
Full Time/Part Time Full Time
Job Summary Independently researches, conducts experiments, summarizes findings, prepares and delivers reports for the development and commercialization of ingredients, products and processes for ConAgra Mills. This position requires the practical and critical skills necessary to develop and transition projects from ideation to commercialization and focuses on building the science to support the critical transformations within manufacturing processes and to develop performance based specifications for the raw materials, processes and products. This position focuses on innovative processes and products designed for profitability, operability, speed, and vertical start up for the Mills business. This position may have direct reports.
* Find innovative and proprietary solutions to develop new and improve existing grain-based ingredients in aspects including functionality, taste, nutrition and cost.
* Complete projects which align with Mills business objectives.
* Learn and apply the Methodology of Product/Process/Package Development (MOPD).
* Develop, test and process grain-based foods including yeast and chemically-leavened doughs and batter products, pasta, batters & breadings, and extruded cereals and snacks to meet project goals and to provide customer, marketing and sales support.
* Develop and define manufacturing processes for new ingredients and products that meet process, quality and cost objectives.
* Define and measure the physical, chemical and biological transformations that occur to produce new ingredients and products.
* Use grain, flour, dough and food processing and testing equipment.
* Design and execute experiments, analytical testing, and pilot and plant trials; record, summarize and report results.
* Review and analyze results of experiments to provide recommendations.
* Prepare results for review and present findings to management.
* Assist in scale-up and start up production.
* Provide technical leadership internally and to customers as required.
* Maintain accurate and complete records using approved data-recording system.
* Monitor new scientific findings, new products and consumer trends within the food industry.
* Maintain flexibility in learning and finding new ways of doing work.
* Research prior art to ensure that efforts are unique and ownable.
* Participate in and/or coordinate technical meetings by suppliers, universities, etc. in areas of technical, functional or clinical significance related to projects or for knowledge acquisition.
* BS in Food Science or Engineering required, MS preferred.
* Minimum 5 years of food industry experience.
* Proven ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously.
* Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate, influence and interact within a cross-functional organization.
* Knowledge of designed experiments methodologies.
* Experience with process technology including but not limited to mixing and blending, grinding, particle separation, flow control, temperature regulation, heat exchangers, homogenizers, and CIP systems preferred.
* Experience with process technology documentation, including process flow sheets, instrumentation diagrams, mass and energy balances, and process control strategies preferred.
* Proficient at Microsoft office programs including Word, Excel and Power Point and experience using SharePoint sites is preferred.
* Proficient in using a lab notebook .
* Sound communication skills (both verbal and nonverbal) and the ability to present effectively to leadership.
* Ability to collaborate cross-functionally
* Demonstrate strong leadership (interpersonal, team, organizational) and decision making skills.
* Structured problem solving skills, including Six Sigma and other problem solving models preferred.
* Technical judgment and prioritization skills.
* Ability to develop a strong resource network while further enhancing close relationships with cross-functional work partners.
* Basic understanding of project management.