Job Title: Machine Operator
Description: Saint-Gobain, THE COMPANY
Saint-Gobain is a leading worldwide producer of abrasives, building materials, high-performance plastics, insulation, flat glass, glass containers, piping, reinforcements and industrial ceramics. With more than 1,000 subsidiaries in 57 countries, Saint-Gobain is the world's largest manufacturer and distributor of building materials, and a leader in the production of high performance materials and glass containers. Founded in 1665 and headquartered in Paris, Saint-Gobain had worldwide sales of approximately $60 billion and employs approximately 200,000 people. In the U.S. and Canada, Saint-Gobain employs over 22,000 people, and has approximately 200 manufacturing locations. Its total U.S. and Canada sales are $8 billion
PERFORMANCE PLASTICS, THE BUSINESS
Performance Plastics is a world-wide activity within the Innovative Materials Sector of Saint-Gobain with revenue of more than $1B.. It has approximately 4,500 employees in 43 locations and is present in 16 countries. Our business value is derived by processing high-performance polymer resins into products with unique properties that our customers value. We serve a broad range of markets including construction, automotive, aerospace, food and beverage, medical, pharmaceutical, electronics, and energy.
We are currently looking for a Machine Operator for our Solar Gard business located in North County, San Diego. Saint-Gobain Solar Gard, LLC positively impacts lives with products that protect, save and renew. Solar Gard® automotive and architectural window films, photovoltaic and industrial films are manufactured in an ISO 14001:2004 and ISO 9001:2008 certified facility in San Diego, California. With environmental responsibility as a core mission, Solar Gard has obtained and published its Environmental Product Declaration proving that its architectural solar control window films are carbon negative and reduce global greenhouse gas emissions. Solar Gard products are sold in more than 90 countries under the Solar Gard, Panorama®, Quantum® and Solar Gard Armorcoat® brands and provide a living for thousands of entrepreneurs worldwide
Job Responsibilities: BASIC PURPOSE OF POSITION:
This is a direct manufacturing position responsible for all aspects of manufacturing and testing coated products within the Solar Gard Coating Department. Responsibilities include, but are not limited to providing for a safe work environment, expertise in all aspects of machine operations, including normal operations, changeover, trouble shooting, and product quality testing.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS OF THE POSITION:
1. Assures a safe work environment taking responsibility for safety of self and others.
2. Reporting (and if possible correcting, initiating correction, or clearly identifying) unsafe conditions or acts to his/her direct supervisor.
3. Take initiative in keeping all areas clean and safe by following applicable housekeeping and safety procedures.
4. Demonstrated ability to operate all work stations, including set up, start-up, operate, monitor, adjust, shut down, and clean up.
5. Maintain exemplary attentiveness to and respond appropriately to all aspects of or situations on the job during the course of the shift.
6. Perform material handling functions within the department including, but not limited to, loading and unloading rolls on the machine.
7. Perform machine clean-up, set-up and other functions associated with job changes.
8. Clear any coating defects on all standard products without assistance from another operator. Perform real time trouble shooting to assure a safe environment while producing products meeting all quality specifications.
9. Be able to investigate and solve routine coating and web handling problems. This includes knowing when to suggest Process Engineering, or Maintenance's help and communicating the exact nature of the problem to maintenance.
10. Assumes full responsibility for the quality of material produced as well as responsible for the results when directing others.
Knowing the constructions of all of the products we typically run and know where to find and how to use product construction resource material.
11. Performs real time quality control testing for all coating production according to applicable procedures or work instructions. This includes (but is not limited to): UV trans- mission, Surface resistivity, optical density, reflectivity, haze adhesion and scratch resistance of stratch-resistant coating, curl and peel strength per PSTC-1.
12. Investigates nonconforming materials including lot number and materials used through SAP analysis.
13. Conducts root cause analysis for special causes of lost production and/or scrap events.
14. Provides real time process trouble shooting support.
15. Perform visual inspection of products and be able to grade them according to visual standards.
16. Perform routine calibration of production test equipment such as optical densitometers.
17. Maintains accurate production, test, and materials records and retains as needed.
18. Perform routine preventative maintenance functions including but not limited to machine lubrication, changing filters, and other requirements as assigned by maintenance.
19. Support Maintenance personnel in trouble shooting and correcting machine malfunctions.
20. Support Engineering and Maintenance in installing machine modifications.
21. Actively participate on continuous improvement project teams
22. Write new or modify existing procedures as needed.
23. Accepting complex assignments (that may involve some creativity) from a supervisor and being able to execute them without the supervisor's follow-up. This includes assignments that involve several steps and significant innovation on the part of the operator. Such assignments may involve interaction with one's outside the department.
24. Performing additional duties as assigned by the Supervisor, Lead operators or others in a responsible position.
25. Communicate clearly and accurately with the next shift, maintenance, engineering, and management, and other departments as needed.
26. Maintain a superior attendance record according to company policy.
27. Train new or lesser skilled employees.
28. Assuming the essential functions of the lead operator when he/she is out.
29. Taking the initiative to suggest and implement (with approval) changes to the current standard operating procedures or practices so that the department runs in a safe and efficient manner. This includes listening to and guiding the improvement suggestions from less experienced operators.
30. Being able to fill out all department paperwork assigned to operators for all situations. This includes knowing how to handle all routine situations and knowing when and who to ask for help or additional guidance if necessary.
31. Able to be certified to drive a forklift.
ESSENTIAL REQUIREMENTS FOR THE POSITION:
1. Good written and verbal skills including the ability to read and comprehend department specifications and procedures, write brief reports describing operational events and test results. Legible handwriting is required.
2. Ability to lift 50 pounds.
3. Vision correctable to 20/20 in at least one eye.
4. No color blindness.
5. Ability to work in a clean room environment
6. Working in a solvent/chemical environment.
7. Able to work overtime and weekends.
8. Forklift license (must pass company training)
Three (3) positions available
Full-Time, 2nd shift (2:30p-11:30p)
North County Location
City: San Diego
Ref. Code: CP8663