Title: MD Transportation Manager
Job Title: Transportation Manager
Department: Dot Transportation, Inc. (DTI)
Location: Williamsport, MD
· Reports to General Manager, Maryland Distribution Center.
· Executes work under direction or established procedures 20% of the time; works independently setting work schedule priorities 80% of the time.
· Supervises Assistant Transportation Manager, Transportation Supervisor, Garage Supervisor, and other areas of Transportation (Dispatch, Gate)
To direct and coordinate all transportation activities out of the distribution center, working on an active basis with the Distribution Center Managers, as well as the Director of Operations in Mt. Sterling, Illinois. Develop and maintain processes which define activities to accomplish company goals in the most cost effective and efficient manner.
· Manages and performs reviews of all drivers, garage, dispatch, and support staff.
· Addresses all vendor and customer (both internal and external) challenges.
· Responsible for all hiring and exit activity of all DTI employees.
· Budget: Computes/ performs budget responsibilities for capital and operating budgets for the distribution center.
· Contain costs through effective routing of customer orders and management of inbound freight by the dispatching staff.
· Works with the distribution center warehouse manager to ensure a cost-effective operation.
· Works with the Human resources Manager in the following areas: safety opportunities, Worker's Compensation, benefits training and quality training for all DTI employees.
· Responsible to maintain a safe working environment for all DTI employees, as well as, compliance with all OSHA and DOT regulations.
· Quality leader for DTI at the DC. Must focus on the following: All aspects of measured performance to include, but not limited to; DTI service levels, Miles per Cwt, turnover, and safety frequency rate.
· Analyzes current and projects future trends to insure peak performance as well as develop contingency plans to meet emerging demands.
· Develop and maintain internal controls to ensure consistent process performance.
· Responsibility for on-going development plans for individuals who report directly to the transportation manager.
Occasional Work Performed:
· Responsible for handling any customer requests/problems/opportunities relating to transportation, whether they are generated via sales or the customer directly.
· Responsible for any local vendor activity that directly impacts DTI.
· Weekly Ideas meeting.
This position assumes responsibility for the workplace safety of self and co-workers, and for the safety conditions of the work location, exercises and promotes safe behaviors and shows unyielding support of programs, rules and policies regarding safety.
· Occasional overnight travel (1-2 nights per month)
· Ability to work a flexible schedule in order to meet the demands of the business.
· Occasional on-call responsibilities for dispatch/ driver support.
· Bachelor's degree or comparable work experience required.
· Experience and/or education with transportation management required.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
· Adept at working with/ incorporating changes quickly and accurately.
· Demonstrated ability to function well in a multi-task environment.
· Computer skills/ experience in using Microsoft Office programs/ applications.
· Ability to work a flexible schedule in order to meet the demands of the business including being on call.
· Ability to develop plans, as well as coordinate and manage to completion.
· Demonstrated leadership, planning and organizational skills.
· Ability to travel without restriction by all modes of transportation, including car, plane or train to attend meetings and training as needed.
Job: General Management