Title: Senior Safety Specialist
At Thomson Reuters, Manufacturing Distribution & Engineering, we provide quality book printing and distribution services for our clients throughout Minnesota, the United States and around the world. We operate in a 1.2M square foot manufacturing/fulfillment center with a staff of roughly 600 employees. As a MN STAR MERIT company, safety is deeply embedded into our culture on all levels. Please visit our website to learn more about our organization -
To facilitate a collaborative best-in-class Ergonomic/Occupational Health and Safety Program which: ensures the company provides a safe work environment for all of its employees, while controlling loss and managing risk for Thomson Reuters, Manufacturing Distribution & Engineering (MD&E) people, property and businesses. This role is also responsible for assuring company compliance with applicable safety and occupational health regulations, codes and best practices. The incumbent will drive policy and procedure changes, and partner with manufacturing management to foster/strengthen the development of our overall Ergonomic/Occupational Health and Safety Program.
Major Areas of Accountability:
* Strategically evaluate business needs to develop policy and procedural changes to ensure ergonomic & general occupational health and safety (OH&S) compliance to minimize company risks and control losses, as well as to ensure a safe workplace is being provided by MD&E.
* Evaluate safety statutes, regulations, codes and/or standards as they pertain to MD&E facilities/operations and help develop/monitor programs to ensure compliance. Identify opportunities to implement programs for managers, supervisors and employees regarding loss prevention and control, disaster recovery planning, ergonomic & general occupational health and safety compliance. Design, deliver, and monitor training programs related to these compliance programs and others. This includes such risk factors as chemical, biological, ergonomic, mechanical and physical (noise, radiation, lasers, etc.). Maintain appropriate compliance required documentation for these regulatory programs.
* Be an internal partner at all levels to provide leadership and foster development of ergonomic and safety committees in the area of accident prevention and improving the overall ergonomic and safety program. Partner with management regarding corrective actions to alleviate unsafe conditions or procedures. Prepare for, coordinate and participate in on-site inspection by regulatory/government agencies, insurance carriers, etc.
* Coordinate with Occupational Health Services to provide occupational illness/injury data to management and appropriate regulatory agencies. Work with Environmental Engineers and Health Services personnel as appropriate on areas of compliance overlap and to ensure adequate coverage of Environmental & Occupational Health and Safety issues during vacations, off-hours, etc.
* Responsible for monitoring existing comprehensive emergency plans and response procedures in conjunction with management. Topics affected include, but are not limited to Evacuation, Severe Weather, Hazardous materials response, Fire Emergencies, Emergency Medical Response, Disaster Recovery and Business Continuity Planning. Act as liaison with insurance carriers, loss control staff, and claims personnel to manage the company's risks and losses.
* Pursue professional development through active participation in, and act as liaison with, industrial, technical and professional organizations. Work on special project as assigned.
We are the leading source of intelligent information for the world''s businesses and professionals, providing customers with competitive advantage. Intelligent information is a unique synthesis of human intelligence, industry expertise and innovative technology that provides decision-makers with the knowledge to act, enabling them to make better decisions faster. We deliver this must-have insight to the financial and risk, legal, tax and accounting, intellectual property and science and media markets, powered by the world''s most trusted news organization.
* Provide technical direction to safety and ergonomic team members.
* Establish collaborative partnerships with MD&E staff/management to drive projects, provide influence, and offer technical direction/training in ergonomics and safety.
* Bachelor's degree closely related to Ergonomics, Industrial Safety, Environmental Health, Occupational Health, or Industrial Hygiene; Master's Degree preferred.
* 7 to 10 years of previous experience working in a large corporate setting in an Occupational Safety environment, preferably in a manufacturing operation.
* Certified, or in the process of becoming certified as a Certified Professional Ergonomist, Certified Safety Professional or Certified Industrial Hygienist (CPE, CSP or CIH)
Knowledge and Skills:
* Proven ability to build relationships with, and influence all levels within an organization.
* Experience working within fast-paced, complex, dynamic, multi-cultural business environment.
* Proven oral and written communication abilities; ability to work with a wide range of sensitive and confidential issues.
* Proven discretionary judgment with ability to resolve both routine and non routine issues.
* Ability to meet deadlines.
* Ability to work in a team based environment with other facilities professionals.
* Ability to handle multi-tasking environment.
* Strong project management, organizational, analytical, and conflict resolution skills.
* Strong PC (MS Office) skills
* Strong Presentation/Training skills
At Thomson Reuters, we believe what we do matters. We are passionate about our work, inspired by the impact it has on our business and our customers. As a team, we believe in winning as one - collaborating to reach shared goals, and developing through challenging and meaningful experiences. With over 60,000 employees in more than 100 countries, we work flexibly across boundaries and realize innovations that help shape industries around the world. Making this happen is a dynamic, evolving process, and we count on each employee to be a catalyst in driving our performance - and their own.
As a global business, we rely on diversity of culture and thought to deliver on our goals. To ensure we can do that, we seek talented, qualified employees in all our operations around the world regardless of race, color, sex/gender, including pregnancy, gender identity and expression, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, age, marital status, citizen status, veteran status, or any other protected classification under country or local law. Thomson Reuters is proud to be an Equal Employment Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer providing a drug-free workplace.
Intrigued by a challenge as large and fascinating as the world itself? Come join us.
To learn more about what we offer, please visit careers.thomsonreuters.com.
More information about Thomson Reuters can be found on thomsonreuters.com.
According to the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), the H-1B visa cap has been met for the 2013 fiscal year (October 1, 2012-September 30, 2013).
Job: Real Estate