Sector: Education & Literacy
Location: US - KS - Wichita
Employee Type: Regular
Employee Category: Part Time
Under the supervision of the Resettlement Director, the ESL instructor leads the IRC’s education programming in Wichita. He/she provides humanitarian entrants with contextualized instruction that gives clients the English language skills they need to effectively participate in the English-speaking environment in which they live, particularly the skills needed to obtain and retain employment and achieve self-sufficiency. The ESL instructor also ensures client data is collected and managed to effectively report on grant-funded programs.
* Provide content-based English language instruction at beginning, intermediate and/or advanced levels.
* Develop and implement engaging lesson plans that assist students in meeting their goals and offer a variety of instructional methods adapted to diverse learning styles.
* Supervise volunteer assistant teachers and tutors
* Incorporate job readiness into ESL classroom instruction.
* Design and administer student assessment tools that gauge student learning and monitor achievement of performance outcomes.
* Create a welcoming environment that fosters community and learning among program participants.
* Submit weekly lesson plans and/or bi-weekly unit plans that address material to be covered in class.
* Assist with registration, intake and pre- and post-testing as needed
* Assist with reporting requirements as needed
* University degree (B.A.) required with TESL certification, plus at least one year of teaching experience.
* Thorough, detailed knowledge and understanding of English grammar with the ability to clearly explain all verbs, tenses and parts of speech.
* Ability to interact with diverse ethnic populations and empathize with people unfamiliar with local culture.
* Demonstrated ability to work effectively as a team member in a multi-cultural environment
* Ethical and professional conduct that facilitates the building of a respectful, trusting and collaborative relationship with program staff and students.
IRC leading the way from harm to home.
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
IRC considers all applicants on the basis of merit without regard to race, sex, color, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status or disability.