§ Supports the values and mission of Galichia Heart Hospital promoting positive guest relations to the patients, families of patients, medical staff, general public and other employees of the hospital.
§ Provides clinical direction to staff and evaluates the level of care provided by the unit/department staff.
· Functions as a role model in select clinical specialties, demonstrating, counseling in clinical judgment, techniques, skills and supportive knowledge base
· Provides clinical direction for staff and evaluates the level of care provided by the Unit/Department staff
· Demonstrates awareness of and adherence to safety and legal requirements established at the hospital level with emphasis on those pertinent to designated units.
· Participates in and has accountability for planning and execution of the department/unit budgets as they relate to Clinical Operations
· Serves on committees, task forces and workgroups on a voluntary and appointed basis at the unit, department and hospital levels.
· Accountable for hospital and department policies by assuring compliance; using them as a basis for decision making in both clinical and management issues.
· Participates in the development of structure, process and outcome standards for the department/Units
· Demonstrates clinical expertise in the execution of the nursing process and directs staff in its application.
· Makes rounds in all patient care areas and assists nursing staff in planning and administering nursing care
· Participates in and has accountability for department/unit based interdisciplinary quality assurance activities
· Identifies issues that decrease efficiency of care or ineffective use of resources at the unit, department, and hospital levels
· Demonstrates openness to innovative ideas and change.
· Performs/oversees annual performance appraisals for staff based on Department
job descriptions and performance standards.
· In conjunction with Human Resources, is responsible for departmental disciplinary action, verbal and written reprimands, up to and including suspension or termination.
· Assures that all employees have current licensure, necessary certifications, and fulfill mandatory
· Assists as needed in planning for staffing needs for the department/unit.
· Demonstrates responsibility and accountability for own professional practice
· Identifies self learning needs and seeks ways to meet these in order to maintain current competency and response to new clinical and management demands
· Develops and maintains effective working relationships with staff, all members of the health care team and hospital administration.
· Demonstrates effective leadership skills of delegation, organization, priority setting, and coordination of department/unit; delegates these responsibilities to designated staff as appropriate
· Demonstrates effective clinical/managerial decision making ability via problem identification and solving skills.
· Directs the placement of patients on the unit and plans assignments for the nursing care of the patient
· Demonstrates the ability to work as a team member and to communicate directly and professionally.
· Accountable for achievement of patient outcomes within the designated length of stay and promotes appropriate utilization of resources.
· Demonstrates the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients served. The individual must demonstrate knowledge of the principles of growth and development over the life span and possess the ability to assess data reflective of the patient''s status and interpret the appropriate information needed to identify each patient''s requirements relative to his/her age specific needs, and to provide the care needed as described in the department/unit/area''s policies.
· Directs the interview, selection and hiring process of employees for the unit and leads efforts of maintaining staff and minimizing turnover.
· Participates and helps direct the clinical and leadership development of employees in the Unit/Department and evaluates the effectiveness of those activities.
· Assists in preparing an annual budget and manages the department on a sound fiscal basis.
· Performs other duties as assigned.
· Completes Unit Specific competencies during orientation and annually.
LICENSURE OR REGISTRATION REQUIRED:
* Current, unrestricted Registered Nurse licensure appropriate to state regulations
* Bachelor''s Degree in Nursing or related field required
* Master''s degree preferred
* ACLS required
* BLS required
* 2 - 3 years recent management experience
* 3 - 5 years experience in an acute care setting